Home
Bylaugh Hall in Norfolk, architect Charles Barry and restored from a ruin by Stephen and Muffy Vince
Home

About Bylaugh

 

Bylaugh

Bylaugh Hall was restored from a ruin by Stephen and Muffy Vince. However, the banks that financed some of the restoration are in administration.
This site will soon be updated with full details of the damage that this has caused.

 

 

Couple by the piano in the Orangery
 
   

The bride with her flowers

A bridesmade climbing
up to the great Orangery windows
   

Arriving through the arches leading
through the cobbled Quadrangle
to the Orangery
   
   
   

Bylaugh Hall has been brought back to life.

"England, home and beauty" John Braham (The song of Nelson). 

Bylaugh Hall is probably one of the most beautiful and perfect period mansions in Norfolk. It was mostly restored from its 1950s ruined state back to its former glory during the first decade of the twenty first century.


About Bylaugh

Bylaugh (pronounced beela, sometimes mis-spelt as Belaugh) is a tiny hamlet with a Saxon round towered church nestling by the river Wensum which flows on to Norwich. There is an Old Hall built in the 15th Century surrounded by lovely farm buildings and cottages belonging to the King family. Most of the other houses in this hamlet were built by the Evans-Lombe family for the Estate.

This new Bylaugh Hall is a small Stately Home built by Charles Barry (Architect of the Houses of Parliament) in 1850. In 1950 it was partially demolished and abandoned to the elements.

It was originally built for the Evans-Loombe family and rented to Charles Knox D'Arcy for many years, well known as the founder of BP. In those days it was not just a stately home in grounds, but a huge estate extending to tens of thousands of acres. The Prince of Wales considered it just prior to opting for Sandringham.

A cavalry unit was stationed at Bylaugh during the first world war, after which it was split up and sold in over one hundred lots between 1919 and 1921.

The house and park were then commissioned by the RAF during the second world war where it played a strategic and central role.
 

The property was restored to a high standard over the first seven or eight years of this century, to the high standard of the original builders and architects.


 



Home